Mine That Bird

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mine That Bird heads out to Churchill Downs

By PETE HERRERA for SureBet Racing News
Roswell, NM – May 19, 2010 - Mine That Bird is going back to Churchill Downs to join the stable of Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas.

Dr. Leonard Blach, the New Mexico vet who along with Double Eagle Ranch owner Mark Allen co-owns Mine That Bird, announced Lukas would be taking over the conditioning of the gelding.

Lukas is one of the marquee names in horse racing. He has saddled four Kentucky Derby winners, has won The Preakness five times and the Belmont four times. He’s a four-time Eclipse Award winner and is the only trainer to be inducted into both the quarter horse and thoroughbred halls of fame.
He will replace New Mexico-based trainer Bennie ``Chip’’ Woolley, who became an overnight celebrity after Mine That Bird’s 50-to-1 win in the 2009 Kentucky Derby.

read entire story

7 comments:

  1. It is unimaginable to think of Mine That Bird without Chip Woolley. Theirs is one of the greastest stories in racing history. I am not trying to be disrespectful, but, this is terrible, terrible news.
    Mine That Bird without Chip Woolley is like Zenyatta without John Sherriffs. This will be devastating to the many, many fans of Mine That Bird & that is what I think Dr. Blach & Mark Allen fail to understand.
    Colette M.
    Monroe, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. This news is so sad. I wish Chip Woolley all the success in the world. The story of MTB and Chip will not soon be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but this is not thrilling news and although I won't get into personal feelings regarding Lukas, I will just say my prayers are with MTB, my favorite horse, that he comes out of this well and runs terrific this year. MTB, please stay healthy and safe out there. You will always be near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to the little horse. He looks great after his time away from the track.

    I do hope his webcam can continue - I have so enjoyed checking with him and seeing what he's up to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The webcam will continue from Churchill as soon as they get it setup.

    Yes the Bird looks great and feeling even better. I'm sorry you are sad about the change in trainers. I think Mark Allen said it best, "Chip is a close friend of mine, and he done us a heck of a job last year," Allen said. "But I have a stable of horses back there that I really need looked after, and Mr. Lukas and some other trainers threw their hat in the ring. When a legend throws his hat in the ring, it's hard to go against him."

    Right now we all have our jobs to do including the BIRD - it is time for him to get back to work and win some races for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was at Churchill Downs to see Mine that Bird run in the Firecracker and was very disappointed at his loss but understood about the turf, etc. And I did appreciate Mr. Lukas admitting it was a mistake to race MTB on the turf. I expected better from today's Whitney Handicap. Well -- what next? Changing jockeys?? And after that perhaps changing trainers??? May I suggest Chip Woolley!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck MTB in Saturday's Woodward at Saratoga. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete