Mine That Bird

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

MINE THAT BIRD ZIPS IN WORKOUT, COULD RACE THIS WEEKEND

Mine That Bird, upset winner of the 2009 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Grade I), turned in a sharp five-furlong work on Monday at Churchill Downs in preparation for a possible return to racing at the historic track this weekend.

Jockey Calvin Borel was in the saddle as Double Eagle Ranch and Buena Suerte Equine’s 4-year-old Birdstone gelding zipped over a muddy track for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas in a “bullet”:59.80, the fastest work of 26 at the distance.
Churchill Downs clockers caught Mine That Bird in fractional times of :12.20, :24.20, :36.20 and :47.80 and galloped out six furlongs in 1:14.60. The track had been listed as sloppy earlier in the morning following overnight rains, but was drying out by the time Mine That Bird stepped on the one-mile oval at around 8:30 a.m. (all times EDT), just after the mid-session break for track maintenance.

“I told Calvin we needed to let him do it with no prompting today, just let him do it on his own,” Lukas said. “I told him I’d like to see him finish up and if he’d get it in a minute to 1:01, that would be about right. Once I turned him loose and I rode over by the rail to see how deep it was, I thought ‘If he does that, he’s going to be really going good’. And then he goes 59-and-four.”

read entire story

5 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW! MTB has had some amazing works. I think we're going to see a whole new MTB this year. I hope he can hold his training form. I have to say this is the best I've ever seen MTB. I am so excited to see him race again! I just love that little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MTB: Good luck tomorrow in the Firecracker!! I will definitely be there and cannot wait to see you race again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will this blog ever be updated?? MTB has run two races since the last update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any updates?? His fans want to know and a web cam would be great too:)). Sending good wishes to MTB! The little guy will always be my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good works, let's try Turf. Oops, no. Well, then lets make him stalk the pace. Oops, not this time. I know, let's try blinkers. Yeah, that's the ticket. Oh yeah, let's get a new rider and stalk the pace. Push him. Oops. Grasp, grasp, grasp. Please give this little champion to a new trainer before he is ruined! I love Bird and Lukas "not going to give him to an orphanage" comment was over the top.

    ReplyDelete